Friday, June 3, 2011

My Herb Garden

My summer herb garden is underway - I'm hoping these little beauties will make an appearance in some late summer recipes.  I'm limited to what I can grow in containers on the deck, but I've expanded my tiny garden since last year. I have a wider variety of plants, and I even started some from seeds for the first time.

Despite a spring full of cloudy days, what I have so far was looking good...until this morning when I discovered that my dill had been dug up by our resident squirrel.  And I do mean resident. We've had a family of squirrels living in the roof for the past year. Now they're living rent free AND they've got a free buffet. What a life! I think I'll have to buy some chicken wire this weekend.

Look at the difference between the left and right sides...



On the left, the dill was dug up and is almost completely gone, except for a few tiny sprigs that survived Mr. Squirrel's tiny paws of destruction. (I'm hoping I can re-plant...it's supposed to be fairly easy to grow.)



Interestingly, he didn't touch the cilantro. (Hey Mr. Squirrel, I didn't like it much at first either. Lucky for me, I like it now and you don't.)



And, he didn't get to anything else I've got outside...including chives, oregano, tarragon and some parsley and lavender waiting to be planted.



I love the chive flowers...if he touches those, "It's ON!"



Safe and sound indoors, I started a few different plants in a little dome...as you can see the results have been so-so. Some didn't come up at all. There are some sad looking peppers and some wispy thyme. 




And, there's one lonely shoot of rosemary. I read that it's notoriously hard to start from seed.




But, there are a couple hearty sprigs of basil...


And, the tomatoes look promising.


I'm hoping for a salad or two by the end of the summer...Mr. Squirrel permitting.



1 comment:

  1. your herb garden is blooming! it looks great. we had some chive flowers with our salad last night, so fun to pluck pretty things and eat them almost right away. i'm impressed with all you've got growing in such a small space.

    also, i shall be cheering on the underdog -- go rosemary go!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback! - Prairie Lemon

Please note: Comments are moderated, so yours may not appear immediately. You could always try a recipe while you're waiting!