Monday, September 13, 2010

Blueberry and Flax Pancakes

Every year when we head off to go camping, I make a list of all the fun food that we can whip up over our single burner Coleman stove. To classify anything I make as a "recipe" is stretching it. It's really a chance to take a vacation from cooking and indulge in some quick ready-to-eat foods that I try to stay away from the rest of the year. Somehow though, these meals prepared outside in the fresh air taste so amazing. Waking up to some strong coffee and a big plate of pancakes after a night under the stars tops it all.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is thankful for a good "just add water" buttermilk pancake mix while camping. But when I'm back at home with my box of leftover pancake mix, I feel the need to put in a bit of effort, or it feels like cheating.

Enter a box of fresh Ontario blueberries and a healthy dose of ground flax seed for a more nutritious version of the campfire pancake. (Try adding ground walnuts or almonds to the mix for added protein and flavour.)




Yes, I used a mix, but no one is complaining...

2 comments:

  1. oh yum! looks deeeelish!
    tk

    ReplyDelete
  2. see? i love this! i would never have thought of it. i have nothing against mixes, or freshly made... but never thought of putting the two together.

    i agree, yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback! - Prairie Lemon

Please note: Comments are moderated, so yours may not appear immediately. You could always try a recipe while you're waiting!